- Scholarships will be offered in increments of $5,000. The department may decide how many increments of $5,000 to offer a student.
- The award value varies and is indicated in the original letter of offer.
- EligibilityThe scholarship will be awarded to students who:
• Are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or students on a study permit
• Are admitted to a doctoral graduate degree program by the department or transferred from a master’s to a doctoral degree program
• Will be registered full-time in a doctoral degree program
• Have an admission GPA of at least 3.5
Departments might have additional selection criteria; for more details students are to consult the department into which they seek admission.
- Application ProceduresThere is no application form; eligible students are considered on the recommendation of the admitting department. Students cannot apply for this scholarship. Students are to contact their admitting department for additional information.
- Nomination ProceduresEach department is assigned an allocation (please see link below). Individual graduate departments are responsible for selecting nominees based on eligibility criteria and allocations. Departments may choose to nominate individuals based on a variety of criteria including academic record, letters of appraisal, statement of program, applicant’s research, potential contributions to research, and other technical experience.
For Departments:• Doctoral Recruitment Scholarship Nomination Form
- • Doctoral Recruitment Scholarship Allocation Table
- • Doctoral Recruitment Scholarship department Memo – 2020
- 1. Department nominates students to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) by the nomination deadline
2. FGSR verifies eligibility
3. FGSR approves the award
4. FGSR notifies winners directly
- DeadlineNomination deadlines are based on start dates and are as follows:
• For students with a May 1, 2020 start date, the deadline is April 15, 2020.
• For students with a July 1, 2020 start date, the deadline is May 1, 2020.
• For students with a September 1, 2020 start date, the deadline is July 2, 2020.
• For students with a January 1, 2021 start date, the deadline is November 2, 2020.
Note: Any changes to an original nomination must also be received by the above-specified dates.