For 60 years, HHMI has been moving science forward. We’re an independent, ever-evolving philanthropy that supports basic biomedical scientists and science educators with the potential for transformative impact. We invest in people, not projects. We encourage collaborative and results-driven working styles and offer an adaptable environment where employees can function at their highest level.
We believe that people do their best work when they feel they belong. Research demonstrates that diverse teams lead to better productivity, creativity and scientific outcomes. HHMI’s leadership role depends upon attracting talented staff, who expect a culture of inclusion. We are seeking a Director of Diversity and Inclusion to drive operational and transformational change through the development and facilitation of initiatives that support and sustain an inclusive, equitable and diverse culture at HHMI. The Director of Diversity and Inclusion reports to the Chief of Diversity & Inclusion and is based at HHMI’s headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD.
You will develop innovative, research-based programs and practices that support diversity and inclusion in HHMI’s various workplaces. In addition, you will, design, coordinate, and monitor diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives across the organization and provide support to various groups working on advancing these initiatives.
You will make a difference by:
- Inspiring and empowering an institutional culture that values and supports DEI throughout HHMI’s programs and operations.
- Collaborating with teams across the Institute to create, expand, and implement programs and activities that support DEI strategies, ensuring effective change management practices are employed.
- Providing advice to teams across the organization regarding DEI tools, techniques, trends and training programs to achieve strategic and programmatic goals.
- Earning trust across a range of departments and levels to establish yourself as a valued subject matter expert.
- Coordinating the development, implementation, and measurement of impact of diversity working groups to understand needs and establish areas of focus.
- Collecting and assessing qualitative and quantitative data to measure the success of DEI programs and activities.
- Stimulating and leading activities that support an open and inclusive organization.
- Committing to the continual assessment and progression of the Institute’s DEI-related practices.
- Participating in committees, task forces, and work groups as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 7-10 years of experience building and delivering diversity, equity and inclusion activities from design to deployment.
- Experience working in a diversity, equity and inclusion consulting practice, or comparable units within a higher education or scientific institution.
- Deep familiarity with research-based best practices that promote diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Experience conducting analysis of data relevant to assessment of diversity, equity and inclusion practices.
- Experience in public speaking and presenting to groups of all sizes and levels.
- Strong understanding and application of global diversity, equity and inclusion issues, trends and forecasts.
- Familiarity with legislation and employment law regulations pertinent to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to collaborate and work successfully with multiple stakeholders in the coordination and delivery of strategy and programs.
- Strong analytical skills, reliability and sound judgement.
- Excellent time management and project management skills with a proven ability to lead strategic priorities through to results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; personable nature and strong ability to communicate with and influence people.
- Demonstrated facilitation, coaching, consulting, and presentation skills.
- Superb oral and written communication skills.
Applications will be accepted through 5 pm EDT on July 15, 2020.
As a note for job seekers: We are thrilled by your interest in our organization. Please be aware that HHMI’s recruitment team will never contact you from an email that does not end in @hhmi.org, @janelia.org, or @janelia.hhmi.org and we will never ask you to participate in a Google Hangouts activity. Your best option for consideration in our career opportunities is to apply directly via our HHMI Careers site, which is accessible via www.hhmi.org/Careers. There, you will learn more about HHMI and can find information about our available roles.