ORGANISATION/COMPANYLuxembourg Institute of Science and Technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE12/03/2020 22:00 – Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Esch-Belval
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
The Materials Research and Technology (MRT) Department of the Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is seeking to appoint a Core Technologies Leader to support the department strategy that aims at leveraging scientific results towards science-based technology innovation. As part of a Research and Technology Organization (RTO), the Materials Research and Technology Department develops Key Enabling Technologies (KETs) that underpin a wide range of products in strategic EU value chains and provide innovative solutions to societal challenges. MRT mainly addresses three EU KETs: Nanotechnology, Advanced Materials and Advanced Manufacturing and focuses its research on “new or improved” materials that provide a distinct performance advantage in comparison to the commonly used materials. Activities embrace the development, production or integration of advanced materials and equipment or systems dedicated to the synthesis and the characterization of such materials. KETs having applications in multiple industries in both emerging and traditional sectors, this approach is particularly suitable for Luxembourg which features a significant number of large, medium-sized and small industrial companies covering a broad range of sectors (transport, electronics, energy, cleantech, glass, buildings, cosmetics, metallurgy, space, equipment processing/engineering, health tech and others etc.). MRT aims at being active all along the materials value chain (from Raw Materials to semi-finished to end-products), including advanced capabilities in mature manufacturing, and the materials integration into advanced product technologies truly enabling the industrial innovation. In that context, the core technologies leader plays a pivotal role.
The department MRT is currently composed of about 190 collaborators and is engaged in the following activities:
- a Research, Development and Innovation (RDI) unit which focuses on “Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology”. The aim of this unit is to translate the enabling capabilities of nanotechnology/nanomaterials into application-driven solutions, which take advantage of the functional properties of materials.
- a RDI unit dealing with instrumentation and process engineering in the fields of nano-analytical instruments and surface treatments relying on process technology.
- a RDI unit investigating functional and bio-based polymers including bio-degradable and recyclable plastics, macromolecular chemistry, responsive polymers and polymers physics.
- a RDI unit studying structural composite materials with a specific focus on the design and durability of high performance and multi-functional composites based on advanced modeling expertise together with interface engineering towards better performance and durability
- a transversal Platform regrouping materials characterization and testing, composites manufacturing and prototyping, which provides access and R&D expertise to state-of the art characterization in the field of Molecular Analysis / Elemental and Isotopic Analysis / Structure, Morphology and Topography / Mechanical Testing and Accelerated Ageing / Fire Testing / Thermal Analysis/ Composites manufacturing / Specific Prototyped high-end home-made processes and equipment.
As a technology specialist, the Core Technologies Leader is responsible for leading the coordination of materials research strategy and agenda enabling future low carbon footprint disruptive materials and manufacturing technologies that include 3D/4D printing, low carbon footprint materials from their synthesis up to their usage. He/She reports to the department director.
The successful candidate is expected to:
Ensure a strong collaboration within the MRT team of Scientists, Researchers, Partnership Development Officers, Managers, Valorization and Transfer Officers and with the Director of the department in :
- Establishing and coordinating, with the scientists and researchers, the technology demonstration of low carbon technologies relying on advanced materials and additive manufacturing breakthrough
- Serving as a technical expert to MRT partnership development team to value the technology outcome and performance of materials and additive manufacturing-enabled future low-carbon disruptive technologies
- Together with the partnership team, building a strategic IP portfolio related to the Core Technologies of MRT
- Proposing together with the Valorization and Transfer Officer the valorization stream of materials and additive manufacturing-enabled disruptive low-carbon technologies
- Reporting on the main materials bricks achievements and assess on their multi-purpose usage with the MRT managers and MRT partnership team
- Conducting briefings and technical meetings for the MRT managers
- Positioning on the market the aforementioned Technologies and Reviews project/technology progress with MRT Director
- Establishing and regularly updating/reviewing the research agenda of materials challenges related to the afore mentioned disruptive technologies
Be active at both National and European levels in:
- Strategically contributing to European roadmaps in the fields of materials-enabled low-carbon technologies
- Integrating EU projects and consortia with an ultimate goal to reach a European leadership in the developed disruptive technologies
- Identifying relevant national and international funding programmes and initiatives
- Participating in scientific and technology conferences and forums and promoting the technology excellence in his/her field
The Core Technologies Leader remains a Researcher who may also propose and manage R&D projects focused on the science-based developments of future low-carbon disruptive technologies – including the application to funding.
- Hold a PhD degree in materials science, device physics or a related field
- At least 10-15 years’ experience preferably in the technology research related to materials technologies and their applications
As a Contributor who must interact frequently with scientists and industry on an independent basis to obtain a full view of outcomes and market trends, the successful candidate is expected to:
- Have excellent communication skills
- Have strong interpersonal skills to interact with the labs and various RDI groups, both domestic and internationally
- Be an adept at influencing others (either functional or cross-functional peers and subordinates) to accomplish project goals
- Have strong intellectual curiosity, appetite for exploring new unchartered territories and pioneered disruptive technologies in the field of low-carbon footprint materials and additive manufacturing (with a focus on 4D printing)
- Have a very good track record in materials technology
- Demonstrate a strong project management skills with an experienced in advanced technology management from research phase to pre-production validation
- Have strong organizational skills and multi-tasking ability
- Excellent command of English
- Knowledge of French or German or Luxembourgish is a plus
ORGANISATION/COMPANYLuxembourg Institute of Science and Technology
DEPARTMENTMaterials Research and Technology (MRT)
ORGANISATION TYPEPublic Research Institution
STREET5, avenue des Hauts-Fourneaux