Aston University is a long-established research-led university. It recognised for its world-class teaching quality and a secure connection to businesses and professions.
Why at Aston University? AU is committed to the principles of the Athena SWAN Charter, known recently by a prestigious Silver Award to EAS. At Auston, they pride themselves on their vibrant, friendly and supportive working environment and atmosphere.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2020.
- University or Organization: Aston University
- Department: NA
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: Home/EU tuition fees and a monthly maintenance allowance
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: NA
- Nationality: International
- Awards can take in the United Kingdom
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities are eligible for the program
- Acceptable Course or Subjects:
- Admissible Criteria: Candidates must check all the following criteria:
- EU/UK candidates are eligible
- BSc or MSc qualification in Biochemical Engineering, Biotechnology, Environmental Sciences or equivalent
- Experience in experimental work, intermediate use of Microsoft Office and use of statistical analysis tools
- Skill requirements in one or more of the following disciplines are preferred: knowledge/experience fermentation technology, microbiology, bioanalytical techniques and nanotechnologies.
- knowledge in bioreactors, fermentation technology or genetic engineering is an asset
How to Apply
- How to Apply: If you are interested in a PhD project at Aston University, read the guidance notes and complete the application form.
- Supporting Documents: Certified Copies of qualifications gained, e.g. for Postgraduate this will be degree certificate and transcripts, English Language test certificate (if appropriate) like IELTS/TOEFL, Research proposal, Passport scan, A copy of sponsor letter if proper/available, Copies of any other supporting documentation which may use to help support your application
- Entry Requirements: Must have BSc or MSc qualification in Biochemical Engineering, Biotechnology, Environmental Sciences or equivalent as well as Knowledge of aseptic techniques, microbiology and bioanalytical techniques
- Language Requirement: English Language (Overall min score of 6.5 IELTS). A minimum requirement can found here.
- The PhD position is a funded 3-year PhD studentship that includes fee support to cover the standard Home/EU tuition fees rate. Scholars will also get a monthly maintenance allowance.
- The position is accessible to start in April, July or October 2020 (subject to negotiation).
- The positive candidate will join an established experimental group working on the production of functional and biologically synthesised materials for healthcare and biotechnological applications.
- The application should indicate the title of the offered research topic as well as the name of the primary supervisor (Dr Alfred Fernandez-Castane).
- Applications should provide a research proposal describing your intended research methods and plan, supported by an appropriate literature review on the selected topic.
- The applicants should also demonstrate how their knowledge and experience will benefit the project.
- Candidates are encouraged to contact Dr Alfred Fernandez-Castane by email before applying firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fernandez-Castane, A. & Clarke-Bland, C. (2019) Unveiling magnetosome biomineralization in Magnetotactic Bacteria, Biochemist, 41, 4, p. 58-59.
- Fernandez-Castane, A., Li, H., Thomas, O. R. T. & Overton, T. W. (2018) Development of a simple intensified fermentation strategy for growth of Magnetospirillum gryphiswaldense MSR-1: Physiological responses to changing environmental conditions. New Biotechnol 46, p. 22-30
- Fernandez-Castane, A., Li, H., Thomas, O. R. T. & Overton, T. W. (2017) Flow cytometry as a rapid analytical tool to determine physiological responses to changing O2 and iron concentration by Magnetospirillum gryphiswaldense strain MSR-1. Sci Rep, 7.